It seems that more and more people are choosing to use fitness trackers to help them get in shape or take their fitness to the next level.
Not only that, but it turns out that many of these trackers can do a whole lot more than count a person's active minutes. There are many benefits to strapping a tracker to your wrist, and when it comes to guiding one into a fitness routine that works for the individual, it turns out that the right tracker might be the most important tool there is. There are a wide variety of trackers out there, too, which makes it easy for everyone to choose a model that is affordable and effective. However, it’s always good to base your fitness decisions on information.
Why Use a Fitness Tracker?
There are many ways that a fitness tracker can help with overall health and wellness, and as the name suggests, fitness. What we used to have to guess at, trackers have made it easy to keep tabs on and understand. Some of the many benefits of finding, and using a fitness tracker include:
- Keep track of your heart rate. Important for many reasons, but when it comes to fitness, knowing you're in your zone can tell you if you're working hard enough – and sometimes too hard.
- Tracks calorie burn. Not only for the duration of your workout but also throughout your day, which can help when it comes to weight loss or maintenance.
- Tracks total active minutes. There are days when the body tells us we've worked out long enough after 15 minutes, but a tracker can help you to know how long you've been at it, and the numbers behind that sweat session.
- Keeps tabs on how many steps you've taken. Tracking overall fitness doesn't just have to do with the time spent sweating. Studies show that making sure to get enough steps throughout the day is also essential to overall health. Being able to track all those steps helps people reach their daily step goals.
- Measures sleep time and quality. Fitness is about more than just activity. It also has to do with rest. Many fitness trackers now measure sleep, sleep quality, and sleep time, which can give you a better understanding of your overall health.
Popular Fitness Tracker Models
There are many different fitness tracker models on the market today, and they offer a wide variety of prices and features. Often, it comes down to personal preference and budget, but there are some very noteworthy trackers to look at.
- Fitbit - This brand of tracker offers lots of different models at varying price points. They range in complexity from simple heart rate and activity trackers to models that track sleep, fitness levels, and even include apps that can be integrated with both IOS and Android operating systems.
- Apple Watch - This is more than a fitness tracker, but the fitness tracking feature is one reason to spend the money on this sleekly designed smartwatch. Apple watches are only compatible with an IOS operating system and are meant to be synced with your phone for full features.
- Polar Vantage M - This fitness tracker is all about activity but looks great doing it. Reviewers say it's best for activities like running, cycling, and swimming, but the heart rate monitor, activity tracking, and built-in GPS make this one worth checking out.
- Garmin forerunner 245 - Get feedback on training, adaptive plans, and custom workouts that will make you stronger and give you more endurance. It connects to your smartphone, has built-in GPS, and also helps runners improve their form.
- YAMAY Smartwatch Fitness Tracker - This is a favorite of budget-conscious fitness enthusiasts, as it connects to your smartphone, tracks your heart rate, steps, and distance traveled.
It's important to note that the list of trackers available is not limited to the brands and models that we have mentioned. Nor do we rank the trackers mentioned in any order. Some trackers do everything from keep track of blood pressure and heart rate to ones that simply track steps and calories burned, but no matter what features a person chooses, a fitness tracker can help almost anyone improve their overall health and fitness.